Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother’s Day!
Every year gets better and I know just how lucky I am to have such wonderful kids. Thanks to the help of a Naturopath and lots of prayers we had a beautiful baby girl in January we named Rebekah. I have tried to keep the myths down by educating people along the way. Comments like; “See you just had to relax ” I think when you call your hubby to come home from work early cause you are ovulating would count as still trying. “All you had to do was adopt and you would get pregnant” number 1 that is a terrible reason to adopt and second grade 5 health class would tell you adoption has nothing to do with it. I really don’t want to be the person that “ a cousin of a friend of someone to goes to church with a girl who got pregnant after adopting”. That being said Rebekah is growing so fast and at 3 months old is already rolling over and is almost 12lbs. I enjoyed every minute of being pregnant knowing that it will be the last time I will be able to experience it. Delivery was a little frustrating. I would be asked the series of questions on a form... how many pregnancies have you had? 9. How many were carried to term? 1. How many kids do you have? 2 aged 7 & 2. Then the nurse pauses and realizes things are not adding up as they have a very narrow mind when it comes to making a family. So I fill in the rest for them and since there is no space for Annika to be in the paperwork the completely disregard her. I realize we are not the norm and that their job is to take my medical history but it was still upsetting that the whole family was on the paperwork, except Annika (they could have put her in the margin).
Since this blog is mostly about Annika I want to share how she is doing. She loves her music class and Early Childhood Intervention Program worker and Physio/Occupational therapies for her Cerebral Palsy. She is able to crawl up the bottom 2 stairs and beginning to walk with a walker. She talks in full sentences and has a wonderful sense of humor. She loves to colour, swim, play in the sandbox and swing. She can count to 13, knows most of her alphabet, colours and farm animal sounds. She still surprises me every day with what she picks up.
One thing I hope she doesn’t pick up on anytime soon is the people who stare. One older lady asked if Cerebral Palsy is contagious. I was a little shocked that in 2010 people are still so uneducated. I feel at times like I am an advocate and have to defend our decisions, children and family. I am O.K. with doing so but it does get aggravating that I have to. I have 2 biological children and 1 adopted but they are all “mine” and I would not have it any other way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tonya,

I was thinking of you the other day and wondering if you had had your baby. Congratulations on expanding your family! Glad to hear Annika is doing so well and growing leaps and bounds!